Sunday, January 20, 2013

What I Found Lurking Under My Bed...

I decided to dive right under my bed and get started on that nightmare. I learned two things...well, maybe not learned but confirmed two things I know about myself: 1) It is hard for me to get rid of stuff I haven't used for a long time, but think I might use sometime in the future, and 2) I think I need to keep every handout I ever got while I was getting my teaching certificate.

Tonight's purge was a struggle. I will admit that I put quite a few things back under the bed. Partly because I want to keep them and need to find a better place for them and partly because trying to make a decision on whether to keep or purge right at that moment was more than I could handle.

Some of the items I will always keep -- my kid's baby books, my Algebra and Pre-Calc books (I love Math, and do it for fun), and all my work from my three semesters of Creative Writing. Hopefully as I purge other areas of my home I will be able to bring those treasures out from under the bed.

What I did find to give away is another collection of random oddities :) So let's get started shall we?

1) A silver-plated picture frame that has "Congratulations Student Support Services" engraved on it. I received a scholarship from them in 2008, and never did anything with the frame so I am comfortable purging it. I think you could cover the engraving with embellishments of some kind, but I am not allowing myself to keep things based on that thinking!

2) A 1971 pattern/instruction book titled beads, baubles, and pearls. I have this because there is a pattern for a crocheted bracelet, which is something I always wanted to make. Well, I never did, and I have lost interest in that idea. However, the boot on the front cover is good for a chuckle -- it screams 1970s :)

3) My cap from my 2008 graduation. I kept the tassles, but the cap can go!

4) Another darn spiral notebook. This one is wide-ruled which I detest, so I will add it to the school pile.

5) A folder full of handouts from my classroom management class. Can I just say that no class can prepare for the real-life experience of classroom management! Recycle bin...here it comes.


Remember...if you are overcome with a burning desire to own some of my fine finds, email me at penelopesamuel@gmail.com. I will gladly ship to you at my expense!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment