Friday, September 6, 2013

Five Books, Free Money, and a Race Tomorrow

I worked my cleaning job today -- some people may see cleaning another person's home as menial or degrading, I do not! I am a detail oriented person. I like tasks that allow me to focus on the intricacies of the task. I know you're probably thinking, what's so intricate about house cleaning? And before I started this job I would have asked that same question. In this instance, the answer lies with my wonderful employer! Most people want you to get as much done as you can in the shortest amount of time. My boss does NOT think this way -- she has always told me she prefers quality over quantity. She wants me to spend time getting into the nooks and crannies. Cleaning for her has become a challenge -- what I mean by this is that I challenge myself to find new places where dust might be hiding and accumulating. I am sure it sounds odd, but it is second nature to my analytical mind. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the details required to make everything just so. What does this have to do with decluttering my own home? nothing really, other than I always come home from the job energized and motivated to tackle a task in my own home :)

After I got home, I walked to the grocery to get stuff for dinner and a few staples. It's only a couple of blocks, and I always feel better when I walk instead of drive. Another bonus is that I purchase less -- who wants to lug home heavy grocery bags?? Not this lady!

This is where the free money comes in..I FOUND A PENNY ON THE ROAD!! I know it isn't much, but I will never walk past any form of money, unless it was in some gooey, disgusting substance that may or may not be a bodily fluid.

Tomorrow is The Color Run in Portland, Oregon. If you haven't heard of it, click here for more info. I usually only do runs that benefit a charity or worthy cause, but I succumbed to "the happiest race" on the planet in a moment of weakness. It's only 5k, so it won't be a challenge and it sounded like fun to have colored powder thrown at you at each k. At the end of the race I will look like a human rainbow :)

On to tonight's books. Again, it was easy to choose five books. As I picked the book off the shelf, I thought about when and why I bought it. The why usually seemed pretty shallow, which strengthened my resolve but also saddened me. Why would I spend my hard-earned money based on such shallow reasoning -- It's a classic, I should have a copy on my bookshelf...meh! Was I motivated by pretense and vanity? Was I thinking people would be impressed by certain books on my shelf? Did I feel smarter and more scholarly because of the titles I chose? To some degree, I believe there is truth in all of the above questions and that makes me sad :(

Here are tonight's titles:

The Flames of Rome by Paul L. Maier ( autographed, no less!!)
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Uppity Women of Medieval Times by Vicki Leon
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser

Thanks for wading through my reflective drivel. If I can get someone to take my pic at the race tomorrow, I will post it on the blog :)

See you tomorrow. Have a great weekend; find five things to donate to a thrift store!

Penney

No comments:

Post a Comment